WordPress is robust application software that helps in creating captivating websites, as well as web blogs. The application comes for free, although, there is a premium version of the software that is readily available.
It is the most sought-after platform for publishing web blogs. As many as 60 million individuals have chosen to work on this platform, till date. The software is both developed and timely updated by hundreds of developers scattered all around the globe. The application software has countless number of plug-ins and themes that can literally change the entire appearance as well as, the perception of any website.
History of WordPress
Looking back at history, WordPress application was launched with the aim to facilitate an elegant, neatly structured personal publishing system. In fact, it was a direct descendent to b2/cafelog. The inherent programming software included PHP and MySQL. The product was licensed under GPL version 2.
The publishing platform offers a vast number of features. Some of the major elements, in this context include
- Simplicity – It is easy to use and hardly takes few moments for even a novice to accomplish a desired task on this platform.
- Flexibility – It allows a wide array of websites for users, which include photo-blog, personal blog, professional portfolio, online community and many more. Moreover, it allows incorporating nice and meaningful themes to a website, along with a host of other facilities.
- Easy publishing – The platform has literally revolutionized web publishing beyond all imaginations. One can conveniently create Posts and Pages, format them easily for innumerable number of times and even insert media into it. All these including hosting of the content can be easily performed by a few mouse clicks.
- Moreover, it helps to manage contents easily. It offers helpful features like creating drafts and schedule publications, etc. Contents posted here can be made public or private according to the choice of a site’s owner. Additionally, it offers implementing security to the posts made on it, as well as on the pages, by using passwords.
- Different levels of access – To further implement the aspect of security various levels of access are implemented on the website. For example, administrators manage the site, editor work on the content and authors create contents, etc. This defines particular scopes of functionality for different user-groups, enhancing the security aspect of a website.
- Media management – It is easy to drag and drop various media files into the website. In fact, uploading images and other media files hardly takes a few seconds, if not less. There are also options like adding Alt+Text, captions and titles, etc. to various media files.
- Innumerable themes – There is an entire theme directory to select themes for any website. Users can as such upload their own themes by just clicking the mouse! WordPress allows users to execute a thorough makeover of the websites just within seconds.
- Plugins – The application comes with complete range of features for almost every user. For every single feature there is a robust plug-in directory having hundreds and thousands of relevant plug-ins. Adding Social Media networking and widgets, calendar, different forums, forms, fine-tune controls for SEO campaigns and protection from spam are some of the prominent elements in this context.
- Moreover, WordPress is a multi lingual platform and is available in more than 70 languages.
- It is easy to install, as well as to upgrade.
- There is a separate in-built commenting option that facilitates dialogue between followers of a website.
It is a default service provided by gmail that facilitates publishing of blogs. The service – in fact – allows multi-user blogs with time-stamped entries. In fact, the blogs posted on this platform are hosted by Google at a sub-domain of blogspot.com.
Unlike WordPress, it cannot be installed in a web server. Users have to avail DNS (Domain Name Server) facility to redirect a customized URL to a blogspot domain.
- Blogger helps creating captivating blogs. User-friendly application offers vast number of templates that provide flexible layouts along with innumerable background images. Moreover, users can discard the in-built images and conveniently create something entirely unique.
- Business entities can, furthermore, create custom domain that is easy to remember.
- Blogger connects effortlessly with Google+, thus helping reaching out to zillions of individuals almost in one shot.
- Interactive feature allows exchange of dialogue between the users.
- Blogger has particular income generating tools. In fact, Google AdSense helps users to earn money by placing relevant advertisements on a website.
- It supports 70 languages, thus covering a significant part of the world.
- One can also post blogs on this platform, from Android and Apple iPhone devices.
In fact, as a user it is really tough to decide on any one of these platforms. Both these applications are extremely popular among the global society, in the contemporary times. As such, WordPress is slightly more customizable, when compared to Blogger. Perhaps, this is the only edge that the publishing platform enjoys over its gmail counterpart.