Keyword research is a very commonly used jargon in the Search Engine Optimization (SEO) industry. In fact, it is not just the SEO sector alone. Rather, the entire virtual world of the internet seems to be dependent on this aspect. Whether, it is about seeking information on Google (Googling is the terminology that is fast gaining ground), or about conducting online marketing strategies, keyword research holds the key to success on almost all aspects related to the internet.
Why is keyword research so crucial?
The answer can be provided in a very simple way, so that even people coming from non-technical background may grasp it easily. The Search Engines, as well as the internet users inadvertently depend on keywords to land on a particular web portal. Selecting the right set of keywords and creating content based on them ensures a website is optimized to show up on Search Engine Result Pages (SERP), provided a user enters a search string based on those keywords.
In other words, keyword research deals with the aspect of finding out what the internet users search for.
Keyword research is a fundamental aspect that facilitates SERP ranking for a web portal. In fact, getting the right set of keywords is somewhat similar to already winning half the battle.
- First, it is important to understand what the given website is all about and what exactly the objective is. Then it becomes easier to compile a list of all potential keywords and phrases based on its niche. One can even use ‘Google Suggest’ feature to run a recheck on the list so compiled.
In this context one will benefit from not targeting keywords on basis of high search volume. Competition will obviously be much tougher on such keywords.
- The next step is to conduct a thorough research in understanding the audience. Alternatively, this aspect is all about making out what the potential visitors are looking for. Do not take it for granted that what you are searching is exactly identical to what the larger online community is searching for.
- Browsing various Social Media platforms proves helpful in this aspect to understand the relevant search strings that people are using presently. In fact, ranking for a keyword that is irrelevant to a website may bring in some more traffic to a site on a short term basis. However, it is unlikely that visitors will be benefitted in any way in the process.
- Analyzing the competitors is a great way to unravel the secrets of success in this trade. Select the four top-most competitors and see the list of keywords they are using.
- However, if it is revealed that any two or more competitors are targeting an identical keyword, then it is helpful to select its long-tailed version.
- There are several tools like SEO Toolbar, MozBar and others that one can use. In addition to these one can utilize the paid tools like Wordtracker and SpyFu, etc. to avail detailed list of keywords the competitors are using.
- Google Keyword Planner is an effective tool that helps in identifying the right set of keywords. This tool is extensively used by the competent SEO experts.
However, after conducting these steps one is expected to have a lengthy list of keywords. As such, at this stage one has to truncate that list to weed out the ineffective ones. Using relevant keywords in the inner pages of a web portal proves more effective than using them on the landing page itself.
As such, zeroing upon the right set of keywords is challenging. One has to be patience and meticulous while working on this aspect. This step is crucial to conduct successful SEO campaign on a given website.