The aspect of online marketing has attained unparallel significance in the contemporary society. Therefore, for any ambitious business owner, it is crucial to allocate funds and invest into Search Engine Marketing. As such, this is where one is bound to a face a dilemma. Search Engine Marketing (SEM) has two broad approaches.
- Pay Per Click advertising (PPC) and
- Organic Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
One gets confused about which one of these two options one should avail to ensure the best return. However, both these procedures have their unique benefits and adversities. The final choice mainly depends on the aspects like allocated budget and ultimate objective of the business in question.
Defining organic SEO and PPC
In simplest of words, organic SEO is all about optimizing a website, so that it becomes more relevant to the commonly used search terms. Ultimately, this results in boosting of the site’s SERP ranking.
On the other hand, PPC is especial form of marketing, which involves bidding on targeted keywords. This bidding facilitates popping up of an advertisement at the top of the search page. Ultimately, the payment is made based on how many times it was clicked.
Judging against relevant parameters
As mentioned above, both these processes have their unique advantages and disadvantages. Now, let us try to map their respective benefits and handicaps against different but relevant parameters.
- Time efficiency: It is crucial from all business aspects. As an investor everyone is entitled to know the tentative moment from when an investment is expected to bring returns. However, PPC campaigns start delivering results almost instantaneously. Contrastingly, SEO campaigns require substantial amount of time to produce desired outputs.
- Short term ROI: As mentioned above, PPC starts providing its results right from the moment a campaign commences. Thus, it has a higher short term Return on Investment as compared to organic SEO.
- Long term ROI: SEO campaigns take longer time in providing desired results. Therefore, impact of its result lasts much longer. SEO campaigns contribute to increasing a website’s prominence across the Search Engines.
- Thus, this procedure obviously brings in more traffic, providing a potential lead that lasts over a considerable time span.
- Inbound traffic: SEO campaigning is more helpful in bringing inbound traffic to a website. Statistics reveal, above 85 per cent of clicks that originate from a search query are made on the organic links and not on sponsored links that PPC provides.
- Conversion capacity: It is true that online visitors who click on sponsored links nurture greater intent of purchasing products or services, in contrast to those who click on organic links on a search page.
Therefore, it is natural that PPC is more effective tool that SEO on this aspect.
As such making a choice between these two options is not easy. Before committing to any of these options, it is crucial to consider the aspects of timeline and allocated budget that one can spare. In case, time is short with sufficient budget, PPC is the better option. Contrastingly, if the objective is to promote a business across the internet on a long-term basis, then obviously organic SEO is the better choice.
However, if both time and budget permits, it is best to chip in for both the options, simultaneously.